As much as I would like to, I can’t survive on sweets, so sometimes I make real people food. Today’s “real people food” of choice was baked sweet potato fries.
My friend and I have been doing Blogilates since last summer, and we’ve managed to work out every day the past two months. To keep up with our healthy lifestyle, we like to try her recipes every once in a while. These sweet potato fries are baked, so they can pass off as healthy food!
I like shoestring fries better than stake fries, so I cut the sweet potatoes pretty thinly (About ½ – ¼ inch thick). I would actually cut them thinner next time, since they didn’t turn out super crispy.
After I turned off the oven, I left the fries in the oven for a while (about 20 minutes). That was definitely a good decision, since the fries became a good balance of crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
After snagging a few fries straight from the oven, I realized that I had put wayyyyy too much chili powder. Eh, I’m a fan of spicy things, so I didn’t mind them. It did manage to catch my apartment mates off guard though, so unless you’re trying to kill people with spiciness I would suggest less chili powder.
I’m super surprised I’d never attempted to make these before, they’re incredibly addicting, and I will definitely be making more sweet potato fries in the future.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Adapted from Blogilates
1-2 large sweet potatoes, unpeeled
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. paprika
cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Chop up the sweet potatoes.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a bowl and coat with oil.
- Mix all of the spices together in a large bowl.
- Once coated, throw your mixed spice medley onto the fries and toss around to make sure each one is nice and coated.
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the foil. Make sure they’re spread out so they get crispy.
- Put in the oven and bake until the fries are crispy, 20-30 minutes