I have an abundance of carrot and zucchini. My mom sent me back to my apartment with a MASSIVE zucchini, and considering the fact that I’m moving out tomorrow, I needed to use it up.
I adapted this cake from Tastes Better From Scratch’s Carrot and Zucchini bars. Yup, you read it right, these started out as bars. When I put them into the oven, the batter looked a bit thin in the 9×13 pan. Unfortunately, they didn’t really rise in the oven either, so I turned the bars into a two layered cake. If you want to have thick bars, I would suggest using an 8×8.
This cake is a delicious way of consuming copious amounts of vegetables. My favorite part of this cake was definitely the combination of the ginger in the cake with the lemon cream cheese.
Carrot and Zucchini Cake
Adapted from Tastes Better from Scratch
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups (+ more for sprinkling on top of the cake ) grated carrot
1 1/4 cups (+ more for sprinkling on top of the cake ) grated zucchini
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (8 oz) pkg reduced fat cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, oil, honey, and vanilla.
- Fold in the grated carrot and zucchini,
- In another bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir just until combined.
- Spread batter evenly into an un-greased 9×13” baking pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the frosting ingredients with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled bars.