Our next event wasn’t until Tuesday night, with the Aims of Education Reception. Every year, the first years attend the Aims of Education speech during O-Week. Since we’re the oldest dorm on campus, it’s tradition for the speaker to come back to our dorm and lead a discussion. For this event the RMAs always serve the super popular lemon squares!
Aims of Education Menu:
Lemonade Bars – 3 batches
Raspberry Lemonade Bars [Smitten Kitchen] – 2 batches
Strawberry Lemonade Bars [Smitten Kitchen] – 3 batches
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, and salt.
- Cut butter into flour mixture.
- Sprinkle into 13 x 9 inch pan. Pack.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While crust is baking, whisk eggs and granulated sugar until combined.
- Add lemon juice and flour to egg mixture.
- Pour over crust.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300° F.
- Bake until set (about 30 minutes).
- Cool completely. Cut.
- Sift confectioners’ sugar over bars before serving.
Last year we tested out the strawberry lemonade bars, and they were absolutely delicious, so we decided to bring them back. They’re the same recipe, we just substituted raspberries with strawberries. This recipe is always a hit, and people had definitely been talking it up all week, so I’m glad they turned out well. These bars are a tad bit on the sweet side, so I wouldn’t have more than one or two squares, even though it’s really tempting to keep eating them.